The Twelve-Factor App02 Dec 2018
In the modern era, software is commonly delivered as a service: called web apps, or software-as-a-service.
The twelve-factor app is a methodology for building software-as-a-service apps that: 1
- Codebase: One codebase tracked in revision control, many deploys
- Dependencies: Explicitly declare and isolate dependencies
- Config: Store config in the environment
- Backing services: Treat backing services as attached resources
- Build, release, run: Strictly separate build and run stages
- Processes: Execute the app as one or more stateless processes
- Port binding: Export services via port binding
- Concurrency: Scale out via the process model
- Disposability: Maximize robustness with fast startup and graceful shutdown
- Dev/prod parity: Keep development, staging, and production as similar as possible
- Logs: Treat logs as event streams
- Admin processes: Run admin/management tasks as one-off processes 13.